Friday, February 15, 2013

5 things to do with Shaving Cream!!!

This is a cheap and easy way to have fun and practice a lot of different skills.
 
 
Practice Sight Words:  My kids LOVE working with their sight words when we use shaving cream.    We have a "shaving cream day" for every 10 sight words we learn through our phonics program.  I write the 10 words on the board, they write the words 3 or 4 times each and when they finish they can draw whatever they want.  This usually takes about 20 minutes before the shaving cream disappears.
Draw Fractions:  I had my kids using shaving cream to show fractions.  They would draw the shape and then use their finger to divide the shape into whatever fraction I asked of them.  You could describe a fraction and have them draw it.  For example say:  "Draw a fraction that shows 1 of 2 parts colored."  They would draw a shape and wipe away 1/2 of the shape so that it would look like they "colored" the other half.
Draw a Shape:  Describe a shape and as you describe the shape the students draw the shape.  For example say:  "Draw a shape that has 4 sides that are all the same length."  The students would draw a square.
 
Math Facts:  Either give the students the math fact and they write the answer or give the students a number and they can write what the equation could be.  Use both for differentiation.
 
Vocabulary Words:  Say the definition of a vocabulary word and the students write the word that you are describing.
 
This does clean up easily.  I give them about a 1/2 cup or so of shaving cream and it usually lasts about 20 minutes.  The more they play/work the faster it disappears.
 
Have Fun!!!
 





16 comments:

  1. And it cleans desks better than anything I've ever seen!! We use it at the end of every term - we do Math, build snowmen, draw, do spelling tests - anything at all for fun and we come away with, as my kids say, "soft, silky, desks". Poor adjectives for a desk but I know what they mean. The desks look and feel great. Can't say as much for the children - they're usually covered in shaving cream from head to toe :)

    Lynn

    Fu in the Fours

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students usually end up with shaving cream rolled up into a ball in their hands. You can tell by the look on their faces they want to taste it so badly. I'm so glad it only looks like whip cream and doesn't smell like whip cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kiddos LOVE spelling in shaving cream. Another fun way to spell is to sprinkle pixy stix on the table and have your kiddos spell with a wet finger. =)

    I am happy to be the newest follower of your cute blog. I would love for you to hop over and visit when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like so much fun. We're not allowed to give our students any candy at all and I know they'd never resist licking their fingers. Thank you for being my newest follower. Be sure to check my other pages for ideas, freebies, and giveaways.
    I can't wait to visit your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using shaving cream! I actually am not sure I have used it at all with my kids this year! Thanks for the reminder, we may have to break some out this week for number writing practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny because I had done it years ago and forgotten it too!!

      Delete
  6. I've heard of this idea for a long time, but haven't ever tried it. It seemed so messy! You've inspired me though so I think I'll be brave and try it soon. The kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not that messy. The more they play the faster it disappears.

      Delete
  7. I taught preschool for many years and using shaving cream was a popular sensory activity. The kids even used it on a vertical plastic surface. I haven't used this enough in my Kinder class. I know I have some shaving cream in the closet. Maybe tomorrow?! Thanks for the reminder :)

    Sommer Pride

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fun to see how many people have been reminded by this. There will be a lot of happy kids playing in shaving cream over the next couple of weeks. The shaving cream manufacturers will wonder what's up.

      Delete
  8. I haven't done this in ages. Thanks for the reminder! I always loved how it left the desks sparkly clean and the room smelling fresh:)

    ~Nikki
    Teaching in Progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does make them so clean! Other teachers think I'm crazy, but I love it!

      Delete
  9. I've done this with PreK and Kinder students, they love it, and it can be used in so many different ways!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And it's cheap!! I bet high school students would love it too! Who doesn't love to play?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, this is a favorite around here, too. Every once in a while, if I'm not up for the mess, I put the s.cream in a ziploc baggie. Writes kind of like a magi-doodle. Still fun, and perfect if you won't have enough clean-up time, or if you have a sensory kiddo who's not quite ready to touch that texture.

    Julie
    OpenWideTheWorld

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat idea! Thank you so much for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete